This house was built by the Ormsby family in 1780/1790. Originally Jacobites, they were reinstated at the Restoration and given grants of land in Ireland by Charles 11.
It was later purchased by William Flynn who ran it as a lakeside fishing hotel and was later eased to a Hercules Knox.
The Jesus and Mary Order of nuns founded their first branch at Errew in 1912 at the request of Bishop Naughton. Mother Regis O’Connor (Irish), Mother Gonzaga (Austrian), Mother Bertha (Austrian Cook), Mother Rasphael Musgrave (English) and Mother Sebastian (Irish) pioneered the venture. A French nun, Mother Henrietta Baudowin arrived in 1915. They purchased Gortnor Abbey in 1916 and set about converting it into a Convent boarding school.