Crossmolina Castle

The ruin of Crossmolina Castle is situated opposite St Mary’s Church at the end of Church Street in the town. In 1526 the castle was destroyed along with Castlehill Castle by O’Donnell, Chief of Tirconnell at the request of the Bourkes.

The annals of Lough Cé state that this castle and one at Castlehill were captured and destroyed by O’Donnell of Tír Chonaill in 1526.

It was never rebuilt but some of the structures has withstood the ravages of time.